vToolbelt – December 2022
- VMware Security Advisories
- VMSA-2022-0028 – VMware Workspace ONE Assist – Authentication Bypass
- VMSA-2022-0029 – VMware Tools – Denial of Service
Cincinnati VMUG UserCON
December 8th 2022
8am – 4:30pm
In-person at the Sharonville Convention Center
The Cincinnati VMUG community welcomes you back to the Sharonville Convention Center to networkand engage in face-to-face conversations with your peers at the Cincinnati VMUG UserCon. Learn about the latest in IT innovations to help you stay on the cutting edge of technology. Advance your knowledge, become a better IT professional and grow as a strategic leader for your organization.
Weekly Horizon Demo Sessions
Every other Wednesday at 1pm (from December 7th to February 1st)
Please join VMware for a tour of VMware’s Virtual Desktop and App Solution called Horizon. The demo session will show you how you can equip your teams with a digital workspace that’s available at any time and place, and on any device.
With deep integration into the VMware technology ecosystem, the Horizon virtual desktop and application platform offers an agile cloud-ready foundation, modern best-in-class management, and end-to-end security for today’s Anywhere Workspace.
During our biweekly virtual demos on Wednesdays at 1pm, VMware specialists will highlight how you can elevate the digital workspace experience with the efficient and secure delivery of virtual desktops and apps from on-premises to the cloud.
Cleveland VMUG: Annual end of Year Party!
December 15th 2022
Come join the Cleveland VMUG crew for our annual end-of-year party brought to you by our sponsors: Advizex, Arista, NetApp, and Veeam!!!! Drinks and food will be provided along with a brewery tour and lots of prizes. Last year, we gave away a Quest 2, a TV, VMUG Advantage memberships and so much more. This is an event that is not to be missed!!
Great Lakes Brewing
2516 Market Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44113
Located in the Tasting Room.
Product Support Watch
The following products are nearing the End of General Support. You can find the full list on the VMware Lifecycle Product Matrix.
vSphere – vCenter and ESXi
- General support for versions 6.5 and 6.7 has ended. You can still upgrade to Version 7
- Tools 10.2.x – 12/14/22
- NSX-V (all versions) – General Support ended January 16, 2022 – Customers should migrate to NSX-T. Support no longer available after 1/16/23.
- NSX Advanced Load Balancer 20.1.x – 1/31/23
- Site Recovery Manager 8.3, 8.4 – 4/1/23
- vSphere Replication 8.3, 8.4 – 4/1/23
Horizon View / Workspace ONE
- Horizon 7.13 – 4/30/23
- Dynamic Environment Manager 10/2103 – 3/23/23
- App Volumes 4 2012 – 1/7/23
- App Volumes 4 2013 – 3/23/23
- Identity Manager 3.3.5 – 11/20/22
- Workspace ONE UEM Console 2105 – 1/15/23
- Workspace ONE UEM Console 2107 (SaaS only) – 2/8/23
- Workspace ONE UEM Cloud 2206 – 1/26/23
- vRealize Automation – 8.6.2 – 1/18/23
- vRealize Automation – 8.7 – 3/22/23
- vRealize Automation – 8.8 – 4/28/23
- vRealize Orchestrator – 8.6.2 – 1/18/23
- vRealize Orchestrator – 8.7 – 3/22/23
- vRealize Orchestrator – 8.8 – 4/28/23
- vRealize Lifecycle Manager 8.7 – 3/22/23
- vRealize Lifecycle Manager 8.8 – 4/28/23
Notes from the Field
- Master List of vSphere 8 KB Articles and important links – KB 89756
- Creating custom ESXi images using vSphere Lifecycle Manager and Power CLI cmdlets – While the VUM baselines we are all used to still works in vSphere 8, it has been deprecated and will be removed in the future. It is a good time to start learning image management in vLCM.
- New Release Model for vSphere 8
VMware Aria – One of the big announcements in VMware Explore this year was Aria – the future of the VMware Multi-Cloud Management
- VMware December 2022 Multi-Cloud Briefing – In this 25-minute session—The Next Chapter of Multi-Cloud Management—you’ll hear from Johan Marais, a VMware customer at South African financial services firm Discovery, along with insights from VMware business leaders Sumit Dhawan, Purnima Padmanabhan and Vittorio Viarengo. You’ll also see a tech preview of Aria Hub powered by Aria Graph, including several Aria services and use cases.
- VMware Aria – The Next Era of Multi-Cloud Management
- Demystifying Aria
- Aria Hub and Graph – The Future of Cloud Management
- Aria Hub – Free tier – https://octo.vmware.com/multi-cloud-management-gets-an-upgrade-with-a-new-free-tier-service/
- VMware Aria – One Ring to Rule Them all
- VM Virtual Hardware versions and feature compatibility – As you update hardware and software in your environments, it may be a good idea to review the Virtual Hardware version of your VMs. This version can have an impact on features available to the VM. Features like max video ram, and later versions of Direct3D may require an updated hardware version
- I have received a lot of questions around security, ransomware and vSphere environments. Here are some resources that can help as you plan steps for your environment
- If you have upgraded to vRealize Orchestrator 8.x from earlier versions the new interface is quite different. Here are some ways to restart the appliance.
- PowerCLI 13 is now available – now fully Multi-Platform. vSphere and Horizon modules have been updated to support the latest releases.
- Quick Start Tutorial for VMware App Volumes 4
- VMware Converter is back and available again – If you want to learn about what is new, spin up epsiode 627 of the VMware Community Podcast
- VMware Site Recovery for Google Cloud VMware Engine – A customer Journey