vToolbelt – January 2023
- Focus more on Education – In almost every industry continual learning is a necessity to some degree. I want to deepen my skillset and branch out a bit
- I just completed the vRealize 8.x Automation Install, Configure, and Manage course. Next step – lab time and maybe the Advanced Features and Troubleshooting course
- Azure Certification – A number of my customers are starting to use Public Cloud environments to compliment their on-premises compute.
- VMware seems to be joining in this resolution as well – check out the new training options below. One course is even complimentary for a limited time!
- Blog more – The last quarter of 2022 has kept me busy with work and life. The winter months should provide time to share what I am learning. I have a few things on tap that may be of interest so stay tuned!
- Dedicate Time to Physical Health – I know this one is cliche; but for this first time it seems like I am headed in the right direction in this area. Like many who may read this, I spend most of my time on the computer for work or hobby. My wife and I recently decided to help each other be more active and eat better. Doing this together really does seem to be working for us. I have a workout streak going and am having success eating healthier food with little to no snacking. Even after a short time my blood pressure is starting to trend in the right direction and so is the scale. Queue up Rule #1 ?
- VMSA-2022-0030 – vCenter and ESXi updates address multiple security vulnerabilities
- VMSA-2022-0031 – vRealize Network Insight updates address command injection and directory traversal vulnerabilities
- VMSA-2022-0032 – Workspace ONE Access and Identity Manager updates address multiple security vulnerabilities. Note: This also affects Identity Manger 3.3.6 used with vRealize Suite and Horizon
- VMSA-2022-0033 – ESXi, Fusion, and Workstation updates address a heap out-of-bands vulnerability
- VMSA-2022-0034 – vRealize Operations updated to address privilege escalation vulnerabilities
Product Support Watch
vSphere – vCenter and ESXi
- General support for versions 6.5 and 6.7 has ended. You can still upgrade to Version 7
- Skyline Collector 3.1 – 2/10/23 – Free to upgrade – learn how. If you are not using Skyline yet, check it out ! This tool is free, easy, and useful. It can have immediate impact in helping you manage your environment.
- NSX-V (all versions) – General Support ended January 16, 2022 – Customers should migrate to NSX-T. Support no longer available after 1/16/23.
- NSX Advanced Load Balancer 20.1.x – 1/31/23
- Site Recovery Manager 8.3, 8.4 – 4/1/23
- vSphere Replication 8.3, 8.4 – 4/1/23
Horizon View / Workspace ONE
- Horizon 7.13 – 4/30/23
- Dynamic Environment Manager 10/2103 – 3/23/23
- App Volumes 4 2012 – 1/7/23
- App Volumes 4 2013 – 3/23/23
- Identity Manager 3.3.5 – 11/20/22
- Workspace ONE UEM Console 2105 – 1/15/23
- Workspace ONE UEM Console 2107 (SaaS only) – 2/8/23
- Workspace ONE UEM Console 2109 – 1/26/23
- vRealize Automation – 8.6.2 – 1/18/23
- vRealize Automation – 8.7 – 3/22/23
- vRealize Automation – 8.8 – 4/28/23
- vRealize Automation – 8.8.1 – 6/9/23
- vRealize Orchestrator – 8.6.2 – 1/18/23
- vRealize Orchestrator – 8.7 – 3/22/23
- vRealize Orchestrator – 8.8 – 4/28/23
- vRealize Orchestrator – 8.8.1 – 6/9/23
- vRealize Lifecycle Manager 8.7 – 3/22/23
- vRealize Lifecycle Manager 8.8 – 4/28/23
Notes from the Field
New VMware Cloud Certification – VMware has released a new VCP exam for VMware Cloud. For a limited time the training course is complimentary! – Learn more and sign up before it’s gone!
The Install, Configure, and Manage course for vSphere 8 has been released. If you need to get your skills updated – give it a look!
- Ever wonder what happens to network packets in a Virtual Distributed Switch? This deep dive will explain.
- Are you getting the most out of VMware Support? Did you know you can actually specify contact hours in your profile? This Guide to Working with VMware Support can help.
- If you are using GPUs in your ESXi hosts – you can view GPU Statistics using vCenter
- The Performance Best Practices Guide has been updated for vSphere 8
- Some customers have experiences issues with Active Directory-based logins to vCenter after applying Microsoft KB5021131. Check out VMware KB 90227 to learn more
- Issues running the VCSA installer from your Mac? This article can help get around gatekeeper for the VCSA
- If you are having trouble with a vCenter Server plugin or Extension, you can remove it manually via the Managed Object Browser (MOB)
- If you need to update your VMs with HotPlug and Hot Add (add ram and cpu while VM is on) – you can do that with PowerCLI
- You can implement Website checks with vROPs
- Changes beginning with vROPs 8.6.2 has relocated the Object Relationships page. That page is still available – learn how to find it
- Aria Hub has a free tier which allows you to connect up to 2 public cloud accounts and experience Aria. Here’s how to get started.